EU Blue Card

The EU Blue Card is a special residence title for academics. Die Blaue Karte EU ist ein Aufenthaltstitel für Hochschulabsolventinnen und Hochqualifizierten aus dem Nicht-EU-Ausland nach Deutschland.

The EU Blue Card is a residence title for university graduates and highly qualified persons from non-EU countries to Germany. Further information can be found at: The requirements for granting settlement permits to EU Blue Card holders are regulated in the Act on the Residence, Gainful Employment and Integration of Foreigners in the Federal Territory:

The EU Blue Card issued in Germany is only valid as a residence title in Germany and not simultaneously in other EU member states. Other EU member states have their own requirements for the issuance of the EU Blue Card, for example regarding the minimum gross income.

In order to obtain an EU Blue Card, the following requirements must be met:

  1. A completed university degree, which must be recognized in Germany. All information can be found at: Whether a foreign university degree is recognized depends on § 4 of the Federal Qualification Assessment Act (BQFG). To determine comparability of a foreign university degree, one can submit an inquiry to ANABIM at
  2. An employment contract or a binding job commitment. For the issuance of the EU Blue Card, it is also necessary that the minimum salary requirements are met. Ein jährliches Mindestbruttogehalt muss aktuell 58.400 Euro sein. However, a lower minimum annual gross salary of 45,552 euros may also be sufficient for certain professions. Any employment must be in accordance with the qualification.

If you do not have a job offer yet, we will be happy to accompany you during your job search.

As a holder of the EU Blue Card, you will receive a settlement permit in Germany after 33 months if you meet the requirements. The time can be shortened to 21 months if you can prove sufficient German language skills (language level B1). If you have the EU Blue Card, your family members have easier conditions for joining you (e.g. no language skills required).

Third-country nationals who wish to settle in Luxembourg for more than 3 months in order to work there as a highly qualified worker must follow a 2-step procedure.The full information can be found at:

Before entering Luxembourg you must:

  1. Apply for a temporary residence permit at the Immigration Department (Direction de l’immigration) of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs.
  2. be in possession of a valid passport
  3. in the case of persons subject to a visa requirement for entry into Luxembourg: apply for a type D visa after obtaining the temporary residence permit
  4. register with their new municipality of residence in Luxembourg
  5. undergo a medical examination
  6. subsequently apply for a residence permit for highly qualified workers from a third country, called “EU Blue Card

Our consulting services include clarification of all questions and submission of the necessary applications to the relevant authorities as well as support until the final processing. We will gladly take care of the entire application process for your EU Blue Card.